Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Death by diversity

The Boston Globe‘s Bryan Bender:
Army superiors were warned about the radicalization of Major Nidal Malik Hasan years before he allegedly massacred 13 soldiers at Fort Hood, Texas, but did not act in part because they valued the rare diversity of having a Muslim psychiatrist, military investigators wrote in previously undisclosed reports.

More about this from Mark Steyn ("‘diversity’ is not a virtue; it’s morally neutral") and Anthony Kang ("politically-incorrect conservatives were right all along”).

Indeed, it is not a virtue. Saw some fool from, I think, the Victoria Police on TV the other day saying how the bashings of Indian students in Melbourne was a reason why they had to recruit more people of Indian descent, because they were under-represented in the organisation (you can't call it a force anymore, literally) compared to the general population......blah, blah, blah.

I'm sorry, I don't want a diverse and representative police force, (oops), I want one that I know and trust will do its job and protect me and mine from violent criminals. How does having more officers from Indian backgrounds prevent other people, (some from Indian backgrounds as it turns out), assaulting Indian students?

Don't get me wrong, from what I've seen of the Sikhs, I'd be more than happy for a dull and monochromatic police force composed entirely of them and their turbans. Have you seen those buggers? Impressive. Traditionally a warrior people from North India and I wouldn't want to mess with them! Perfect police officers.

I don't care if there are no women or no gays (okay, charge me with treason against my 'community').

I just want an honest copper who, when required, can handle himself or herself in a street fight. I want the crims to be scared of them, not the other way round. If that's the case then they can come from whatever friggen group, community or subculture you can point a stick at. It could be the black lesbian everyone keeps going on about, just as long as she isn't missing an arm or a leg.

I DON'T CARE.

I know how pleased all we poofs were when Cristine Nixon marched in a pride parade as chief commissioner of the Victoria Police. Seems so long ago now.

The fact remains that she was the most disastrous chief commissioner in a long time, maybe ever. She set about feminising the service, promising that recruitment and training standards would be maintained.

They couldn't be of course, as everyone knew. The training was simply too physically demanding on most female recruits. So what to do?

As the idea was not to get the best people to be police officers, (and I'm sorry, but the job does require you to physically fight and subdue some very violent and dangerous people at times), but to "diversify" the force and make it more representative of the general community (which naturally meant redressing the "shocking" gender imbalance), the way forward was clear.

Drop the standards required so more women could pass the course.

Political correctness became the new orthodoxy.

Now Victoria has a police service where the word "gang" is banned, and crime statistics that are inconvenient for reasons of political correctness or just sheer embarrassment are massaged and adjusted so that they give the, um, "right" result.

The absurd fetishising of diversity as somehow a worthy end in and of itself has got to stop.

Posted via email from Garth's posterous

No comments: